Upper Egypt - 270 kilometers south of Cairo
East bank of Nile
|Nome||Lower sycamore and viper - the 14th Nome of Upper Egypt|
|Type of Settlement||Capital City|
|Local deity||Aten - the Sun-Disc|
|Ancient name||Akhetaten - The Horizon of Aten|
New Kingdom - 18th Dynasty:|
- Pharaoh Akhenaten founded a new capital of Egypt. The area of the city was effectively a virgin?site
- The city was dedicated to his new religion of worship to the Aten.
- The name of the city derived from the two hills between which the sun appeared in the morning
- The city, however, remained capital of Egypt only for about fifteen years
- After Akhenaten death, during the reign of Pharaoh Tutankhamen, it was abandoned and the royal court moved back to Thebes,
- Later Horemheb demolished the city to erase any traces of Akhenaten period.
|Necropolis||Royal Wadi and tombs- the Royal Family were buried here. It was a replacement for the Valley of Kings |
- The Wadi contained 4 tombs:
|Monuments||- The city contained royal palaces, temples for the Aten (the Sun-Disc), and administrative buildings, as well as private houses and workshops.|